Friday, June 14, 2013

The Box: You are the Experiment

What situation in your migraine treatment has made you feel like a guinea pig or lab rat?
When I started seeing a  neurologist in fall 2011, he admitted he had no idea how to treat migraine. It was the closest facility in a great hospital chain and I'd drive 90 minutes to get there. My first appointment was like a job interview. He asked me questions, the nurse took my vitals, he ordered an MRI to rule out tumors, and began the medication lab rat process.
After the first appointment and a clear MRI, I'd express my feelings of each medication. The first was Amitriptyline, an anti depressant and common migraine "savior." The two weeks of waiting for it to fully be in my system were hell. I had severe vertigo, nausea, and major brain fog. When I explained those symptoms the response was, "Ok let's try another."
Propanolol was prescribed for my blood pressure and he kept fiddling with the dosage until it seemed "right." When that med alone wasn't giving me relief,  he added Imitrex. I'd only take it when the pain was bad and it never seemed to get better. When we tried Relpax I found out why: I have an allergy to triptans. I would get the most intense pain I've ever experienced I'm my life and would be sent to the ER.
After that experience, My doc said, "Ok let's try another." By this time, I was so upset by the guessing game with my health. How can someone not understand your pain and frustration? Unfortunately he dealt with confused elderly all the time so he shrugs it all off.
Then came Topamax, My arch nemesis. I have another post explaining this awful med so I'll sum it up. My side effects were so bad, I had to very and beg to be taken off of it.
After that I told my doc I'd rather stay on my blood pressure med and deal with the pain than the outrageous side effects. Moving to Kansas City and meeting my now headache clinic was the best thing that's ever happened to me. They are migraineurs too so there's a lot more evaluation, testing, and advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment