Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Risky Business

Each time you try a new treatment you take a risk. How do you initiate a discussion with your doctor so you can make an educated decision about trying it as a team?

When my doctor and I first discussed Botox, I thought what most people thought: oh great my face is going to be frozen and crazy looking. Then we did our research. Not only is the toxin completely different than the cosmetic Botox, but they way they administer it is different as well. Botox is injected in the areas that are most affected by migraines: the forehead, temples, back of the head, and side of the neck. Basically, it gives those muscles a breather while your other muscles take over. 

When talking about a new treatment, I am open and honest with my doctor. I express all fears, doubts, and hopes. You don't want to get set up with thinking it's going to be a miracle and you don't want to make doubts without even trying. If the risks sound too harsh, then take some time to think before trying. Sometimes the side effects of the medications/treatments are worse than the symptoms themselves (ex: Topamax). 

Your doctor wants to help you, which is why they suggest different treatments. No migraineur is the same so no treatment is exactly the same. Be open and honest and don't be afraid to ask questions. It's your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment