Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Meds meds meds

I'm going to do a remix of the popular 90's hit "Bills, Bills, Bills" by Destiny's Child.

Can you fill my meds
Can you fill my nausea med
Can you fill my pain med
Then maybe the pain will leave my head.
I don't think you believe
That my pain is killing me.

Today was a very upsetting day because not only did I have a severe migraine, but my while body was so achy! My arms felt like I did 1500 pushups and my legs acted like I ran a marathon! I went to my walk in urgent care clinic and no one could see me immediately. They recommended I go to the emergency room. When I got there, they put me in a quiet, dark room. Thank goodness! The psychic on tv in the waiting room was driving me bananas!

They were pretty busy so it took a little bit to be seen. No big deal, I was resting so I didn't notice.

In pops a med student. He explains he's working with the doctor and is doing an assessment. No big deal. He then says (and I quote), "so I hear you have a headache?" Without skipping a beat, I growled with an evil eye and said, "migraine." Sure enough he corrected himself a lot throughout the assessment when he said headache.

At the end of the assessment he then says, "did you try Tylenol?" Steam came from my ears. I said (as calm as I could), "Tylenol is like a sugar pill. It does nothing for me." He thought that was so interesting and I doubt he believed me. He probably was testing me to see if I'd ask for a narcotic.

The nurse came in to administer my IV. Being anemic, My veins play hide and seek. They used to be a nurse's dream. Oh so painful! The medication itself burned like my Botox injections and rushes through my body. I kept thinking, "man I hope this works." Oh the things we do to reduce pain!

The nurse left and after a while I felt a sensation in my right leg that caused it to jump/twitch every other minute. That freaked me out. I pushed my call button and the other nurse was stumped.

Not long later, the doc came in to explain his treatment. He also gave me a "I don't prescribe narcotics" lecture and I immediately said, "good because I don't want them." I'd rather have medications that keep me active but reduce the pain than be knocked out and dopey.

Finally I got discharged and went home for a nap.  Woke up in time to see Danielle Bradbury win The Voice. Now my legs are killing me again! Got my prescriptions filled and ready to call it a night. Can I get a free pass tomorrow and have a low grade pain day? One can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment