Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Journey to Diagnosis: An Ongoing Investigation

Any chronic pain patient knows this struggle. You constantly go to doctor's appointments, testing, blood work, labs, x-rays, and consults. What's the conclusion? For some, answers, for others like me, it's like a cold case that needs re-opening.

This morning, I woke up with my usual head throbbing, body aches, and weak gait. There was no way I was able to drive or function so I had to call in sick. Great, another vacation/sick day used for my mystery monster. I medicated, went to sleep, and woke up with the "hangover" that kept me miserable all day. Since an ER visit is so expensive ($125 copay upfront), I waited until the Urgent Care Walk-In Clinic was ready at my usual facility.

Once checked in, I was put into a room for the usual vitals and assessments from the nurse. A couple tests during the assessment had the nurse puzzled. She asked me to do the strength testing (squeeze fingers) several times and gave me the "what the heck" look. This chick did not have a poker face. So she brought in the Physician's Assistant on duty and they went over my assessment again. All my nerves checked out so we then did a blood pressure test while I was lying down, sitting, and standing. Since I was wobbly, the standing test was very difficult. Conclusion: my pulse got higher as I moved from position to position. Diagnosis: vertigo. Well duh! I could have told you that!

Next step: she ordered blood tests. While speaking she asked if auto-immune disorders ran in my family. My aunt has RA as well as chronic migraine, my mother hand migraines as a teen, and another aunt had daily headaches. This is all the maternal side of the family. The older I get, the more I developed traits from that side of the family. I did tell her that when I Googled my symptoms (yes, I know you shouldn't do that) the ones that kept coming up was lupus and MS. She didn't sound surprised because those do fit some of my symptoms. I'll definitely be discussing this with my neurologist next week for my follow-up. I'd like to take tests to rule those out.

As I wobbled to the lab, I kept thinking of what was next for this case. The tech of course had a difficult time finding my vein. I used to be a nurse's dream when it came to taking blood! While the blood was leaving my arm, my entire forearm and hand started hurting like crazy! I expressed that to the tech and she was surprised. I've never had that sensation with blood tests before. Definitely going to have a pretty bruise at the end the night.

Well the CBC came back normal, thank goodness, so no infection is the problem. The PA also ordered a CT so we can have that ready for my appointment next week and try to rule out these auto-immune disorders.

Here's what I recommend to the detectives of chronic disorders:
1. Write down everything - If you're like me, your memory is really doing down the drain, so by writing down times when you have to leave work, why you left, and all symptoms can help your doctor.
2. Work with your doctor - You are a team. If you feel your doctor isn't understanding your woes and providing the best care for you, then research a new provider. It's your health so be sure you're getting the care you deserve.
3. Do some research - I know they say don't Web MD your symptoms because the only thing it'll say is you're dying, but sometimes you'll come across a disorder that could fit your situation. At least ask to rule it out if it really seems like a culprit. It's better than to be misdiagnosed for years.
4. Seek support - Family and friends are an important part of your care team. They can be a shoulder to cry on or an ear for venting. Please be understanding that they have emotions about your health too so comfort them as well. I know sometimes I'm reluctant to tell my parents everything that's going on for fear that they'll be worried, but they are a big part of my support system and deserve to know.
5. Channel your feelings - Many of us bottle emotions and explode at inappropriate times. Find a hobby to channel your emotions in like painting, writing, music, carpentry, and others. It can help with distraction and coping.

How do you investigate your diagnosis(es)?
I didn't paint this, but it's a wonderful example of how to express pain through art.

No comments:

Post a Comment