Sunday, June 30, 2013

Anger Management: Goosefrabba

How do you constructively deal with the anger and resentment that arises as a result of living with migraines?

If I said I didn't have anger or resentment, I'd be a liar and my pants would surely catch on fire. When you live life with uncertain pains and agony, why wouldn't you be angry? Migraines can sneak up and ruin a perfectly planned day. So how do I keep from losing my mind?

1. Music is king - Many on Twitter see my constant posts that say "Music is king" because I firmly believe music is the way to serenity. No matter what you're feeling, there's a song for that. If you want to cry, there are plenty of songs to let it all out. If you want to be distracted, then there's some great jams to dance to and take your mind off the pain. If you need to just be alone with your thoughts, you can play music while gathering yourself. 

2. Dance baby dance - When I get really mad, I find dancing is extremely therapeutic. I play my Dance Cardio Pandora station and let all the anger out. My dog gets confused and thinks I want to play so that always turns interesting.

3. Watch a movie/TV - When I need to let all my emotions out, I tend to reach for my Nicholas Sparks movies. He's one sadistic man to create these sappy books, but the movies add the visual and make it that much sadder. "The Notebook," "A Walk to Remember," "Nights in Rodanthe," and "Les Miserables," "Armageddon" (just the last part when Liv Tyler and Bruce Willis say goodbye) all let me just flow those rivers out. I'm cleansed and ready for a new day!

4. Talk - We all have some kind of support system (friends, family, social media, therapist, doctor, etc) that is ready to listen. Please be open and honest to them. If you are having suicidal thoughts, then you need to get some help. No pain should be too much to leave behind the ones you love. 

5. Write - The great thing about writing is it can open gates to so many forms of creativity. You don't necessarily have to write about your pain, but some form of writing could be a distraction from your frustrations. You might have a best selling novel or award winning screenplay in your mind ready to pop out. Channel your anger into words and give all your expression to educate others. I wrote my emotions for one entire day and was amazed at the end of the day how many different things I felt with each type of pain. 

6. Paint - Some of the most amazing art can come from emotion. Get that brush ready for a masterpiece! 


No comments:

Post a Comment