Monday, July 1, 2013

Low Grade Pain = Productive Until Migraine is Triggered

This morning I had a bad migraine, which gave me a stiff neck so I had to wait to go to work. Man, I love when that happens. When I got to work, my vertigo was at a minimum and pain was just at "light switch level" (turns on and off in an instant) so I was able to get a lot of work done until I triggered a migraine and had to go home.

I made sure to buy my dog a new bone and toy because I felt I'd be able to conquer the world this evening and I was RIGHT! I've been organizing paperwork, dishes are done, laundry in progress, dinner is probably going to be quick, and now I can do some writing! I have a bad feeling all this productivity will trigger a migraine though. Does anyone else have this issue?

Here's what I've tried to minimize it:

1. Pace yourself - Take breaks when you can and keep hydrated. Remember, water is always your friend. When you live with chronic pain, simple activities are like running to "normal" people. Keep a good pace and don't rush.

2. Distraction - I love music and tend to play my 90's Pandora Station while accomplishing my tasks. Not only does each song bring a new inspiration and emotion, but the music itself distracts me from the throbbing pain in my hands/head when I try to work.

3. Smile - Ever notice that things don't seem so bad when you just take a moment and smile? Sometimes I need to stop, force a smile, look in the mirror, and I've fixed myself for at least five minutes. Each moment of relief is a blessing.

4. When your psychic ability tells you it's time, then stop - We can't overdo our activities and cause more pain than intended. You know when pain is coming (although sometimes we don't) so when that "feeling" hits you, then it's time to call it for a while.

I hope you all have low-grade days! **Virtual Hug** I made this e-card today to describe this feeling.


No comments:

Post a Comment