Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The 'Ole Switcharoo

Today was a follow-up with my neurologist about these new symptoms. For those who aren't aware, I have been having entire body aches and pains, constant vertigo, and annoying nausea. I have a small notebook I keep in my purse that I write down how many hours I leave work, my medications list with prices, symptoms, and notes for what to research or do for the future.

I did an EMG on my right wrist and left leg because of my "pins and needles" problems in all extremities, which resulted in a diagnosis of carpal tunnel in both wrists. So now I have pretty wristbands to wear when I sleep to help reduce those symptoms. Don't worry, I'll keep writing!

Sometimes it takes all your energy not to cry when you explain what's going on with your doctor. I don't know why, but it happens. As I fought back some emotion, I asked to rule out some common auto-immune disorders such as MS, lupus, fibromyalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor immediately dismissed MS, which is a HUGE relief. She decided to dismiss lupus as well due to my recent blood work, and I agreed. The two that we are now going to investigate are fibro and RA. I've got some more blood to take and hopefully either an answer or clarification. She did seem like a myalgia would be possible, but since my aunt has RA, she wanted to completely be sure I don't have that.

Since my vertigo has been increasing and constant, she made a referral to a physical therapist in a nearby hospital. They will be working on my ears, which is the powerhouse to your balance. I've had problems with my ears before so it seems like a good idea. Plus, it might help before I go to Mayo in August.

We also discussed disability, and she was very open and honest with me. At this time, she didn't believe my case would be approved and she wants to help me stay that way. One thing I truly love about my doctor is she listens and understands what you are saying. I explained I WANT to keep working and eventually advance in my career. Hopefully all the testing I'll be going through for the next couple months will get a final diagnosis completed with a treatment plan in time for grad classes to resume in the fall.

The ole switcharoo that I'm talking about is my medications. We discontinued one and will be trying another. Luckily the office had several samples and a free trial coupon to use before I have to start paying for it. That's what I love about my doctor's office: they normally give the samples to help take the stress off paying for a fully script that might cause a reaction.

It's now raining, which I used to love. I began writing a poem that I'm working on structuring to share soon. It's amazing what can give you inspiration. After writing, I started to feel better about my pain and outlook for the future. It's going to be a rough summer, but I'm strong enough to handle it. I'll be with my family next week to celebrate my father's retirement so it'll be nice to have that time.


No comments:

Post a Comment