Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Saturday Night Live

I'm casually fitting in the last three MHAM blog challenge posts.

How does humor help you cope?

They say laughter is the best medicine, or at least I think it is. I know when I went to a comedy club for the first time, I had the time of my life and felt GREAT! Humor is a great distraction from pain and causes an endorphin release. This chemical raises our ability to ignore pain. It's also released during exercise, excitement, and sex (not that I'm saying you should be a huge slut to relieve pain). Oh man that came out wrong (that's what she said).

Okay back on topic: This last month has been hell for me because I added whole body pains and joint pain on top of my already pesky migraines. So I decided that no matter how I felt, I was going to see the new comedy, "This is the End" in hopes that I'd feel better. I always liked those stupidly funny movies because they make me laugh no matter how crude they are. At the end of the movie, I was feeling pretty good. It wasn't to a point where I was able to climb a mountain, but at least I got to relax before the next day arrived.

So how do we keep laughter in our life? Here are some good tips:

1. YouTube - I'm pretty sure the funniest videos I've seen were on YouTube. People upload the craziest stuff. When you're feeling sore from working all day, take a break and check out a few good videos on YouTube like "Charlie Bit My Finger" or "David After the Dentist." Get those chemicals working!

2. Movies - There are endless amounts of great comedies that will leave you slapping your knee. Any Judd Apatow film is recommended. I don't know how he does it, but he makes films that just make you shake your head and smile.

3. Vine - This new app is a 6 second sensation that has kept me giggling for hours before. Many comedians use it to keep us all entertained while they search for inspiration for larger bits.

4. Friends - Having a night with friends can lead to many laughs. Whether someone has a horrible date to share or their kids did something nuts, you can be assured that you'll be chuckling. Guess what...it's free! That's the great part about laughter among friends! You might not be feeling the greatest, but invite some friends for a nice dinner and share the "war stories" to get some endorphins going.

I hope you keep laughter in your life even though it seems hopeless. Today's picture was on Facebook and I died laughing. Well I better scan YouTube for some good Key & Peele videos to chuckle before bed. Give me some ideas of good videos in the comment section.



No comments:

Post a Comment