Saturday, July 6, 2013

Dogs are our Children

I just had a moment with my dog today that pretty much describes a toddler or young school aged child:

When I came home, with a migraine, she cuddled with me for a while then proceeded to tear up a cardboard box since I wasn't looking. This is a popular occurrence because when Mommy isn't looking, the rules don't apply right?

She'd do the potty dance (which is running around in circles by the door) and we'd go out. Sometimes she becomes a little rascal and "fake pees" just to be outside to see if there are people to jump and lick. She faked potty time twice in 20 minutes so she got to be put into time out aka her kennel.

While she was lying with me for a second time, her tummy kept making loud noises. I noticed her bowl was still full from yesterday so she was obviously hungry but refusing to eat. She just got a huge rawhide bone the other day so I could have some quiet time and she forgot to eat! I know that feeling because sometimes I forget to eat while working so much.

I kept trying to get her to eat, but she wasn't having it. So I took her bone and hid it. I told her she couldn't have it until she ate. This is equivalent with telling your child they can't have dessert until they finish their vegetables. They whine and cry, but with some coaxing, they'll eventually give in.

So I had to make a game out of eating. I would throw the food scattered on the floor and she'd suck it up like a vacuum. Then, just like when she gets treats, she sat all pretty waiting for the next round of food. Finally, after I was satisfied, she got her bone back.

Dogs are definitely good training for children, especially the hyperactive ones like boxers. I've learned so much about potty training, structure, and keeping items out of reach. Bridget constantly keeps me on my toes and life isn't boring at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment