Monday, November 11, 2013

Say WHAT?

Okay I'm way behind but here's Day 6 of the WEGO Health NHBPM:

What’s the most ridiculous thing you've heard about your health condition? Was there any context? What did you think at the time you heard it – and what do you think of it now?

The most ridiculous thing I've heard about migraines was all the "remedies" like coffee (caffeine is a migraine trigger), a crazy green smoothie where half the ingredients are common migraine triggers, and how they can be "cured." Many just don't understand that migraines are about controlling triggers, not finding a cure. I'll always have them, but some days will be less than others. Since many don't understand, I constantly get "have you tried this?" and "well my aunt's dog's godmother did this and she was cured." Most of the time I get annoyed and just say that yes I've tried it or I calmly say that I've tried everything I can afford/handle at the moment. If I tried every remedy on the internet, I'd be even more broke than I am! 

Now when I hear people trying to help, I educate them. I let them know that I know they mean well and are trying to help, but my doctors and I are developing plans to try out. I also mention that due to this illness I'm very stressed and frustrated which can trigger another migraine so I do not wish to talk about it often. I use my writing as a tool to express feelings and concerns as well as share what I've tried and how it worked/didn't work. Many can read and choose to take it in or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment