Saturday, August 10, 2013

Thought of the Day: "To Be Great Is To Be Misunderstood"

I went on a website that generated quotes and this one from Ralph Waldo Emerson inspired me: "To be great is to be misunderstood." (Taken from An Essay on Self-Reliance)

When I pondered the meaning, the first thing that came to mind is modern day celebrities. We worship them and listen to their every tweet, interview phrases, and media outlet. However, do we really know them? Do we really know if they believe what they are told to say? We misunderstand some things they say out of anger, passion, and sadness and hold a grudge until they apologize.

So if celebrities are so great, then why can't we know who they really are? I applaud those who remain true to their beliefs and are genuinely great. To the others: please let others know who you truly are. Those young fans look up to you.

If I were "great," I'd hope to remain my quirky, loving self.  I'd want my followers to know I believe what comes out of my mouth and I set an example.

So who do you think is great, yet misunderstood?

No comments:

Post a Comment