Monday, August 5, 2013

Reach For the Stars

I've been thinking of this upcoming move and new beginning to my life. There's something I've never had the time (due to working since age 16), resources, or guts for until now: performance arts as a profession.

I've always been an enthusiastic individual. When I was in high school, I participated in many plays, musicals, vocal competitions, and others because I had the time. I didn't have to work, pay bills, or worry about anything. Now that I'm an adult, I want to rediscover my artistic side. I've already started by self-publishing my first book (with many more writing projects to follow), but I want to get back into performance arts like theater, vocal performance, and acting.

So do I have what it takes? I say yes, but some others may say no. That's all part of the industry. While working to pay my bills and financial obligations, I want to be able to go to auditions, acting classes, vocal coachings, and attempt my dream as a teenager. I may have waited ten years, but I think it might be time to try. Migraines, of course, will be a meanie during the process, but I'm a fighter!

I sent in my information to a talent scout with a couple pictures (not professional at all) and I got a call back today saying I'm a very marketable type face. They wanted $700 to get me to begin. Sorry, Charlie, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have to pay someone to represent you and find you bookings. They get paid commission based on the work YOU do.

I filled out a performance resume (way different than a professional one) and we'll see what I can do. One of my first jobs to pursue: being an elf for a theme park. Hey it's experience in the field plus I can get my foot in to start singing on stage, acting, and meeting some people who might be interested in using me more. Watch out, world, I'm coming for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment