Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Squash: The Best Vegetable You Hardly Use

When I was a kid, I always turned my nose to squash. It looked weird and I didn't really know how to eat it. Now that I'm an adult and cook with a very restrictive diet, I need to be reintroduced. There are so many to choose from: summer squash, winter squash, butternut squash, zucchini, spaghetti squash, acorn squash, pumpkin, gourds, banana squash, butternut squash, yellow crook-neck, yellow straight-neck, and so many more. All of them have their specific benefits and their ways to be cooked. This versatile vegetable is one I recommend to all those who want to enjoy a healthy lifestyle.

I started out with zucchini because it seems like the "easiest" squash to be acquainted with. After cutting it up, I mix it with other veggies and meats as a stir fy. Of course, I'm using a preservative-free soy sauce to keep the clean and delicious. Make sure to be MSG-free! You can't even taste it! The great part about zucchini is it absorbs all the nutrients and flavors of what you're cooking while grabbing a watery taste when you chomp down. One cup of zucchini has 36 calories and 10% of the daily fiber requirement. The daily fiber of zucchini aids in digestion, prevents constipation (a common migraine woe), maintains low blood sugar, curbs overeating, lowers cholesterol, and reduces the symptoms of benign prostatic hypertrophy (BCH). One great thing about zucchini to a migraineur is the potatssium found can help lower blood pressure (one of my problems), provide vitamin A and C for antioxidants, reduce risk of heart attack and stroke, and helps the body metabolize protein. When cooking zucchini, you can eat it on its own, add to salads, or use to make bread. Since it doesn't really have a taste, you won't even know it's there!

The next squash I tried was spaghetti squash and boy am I in LOVE! I've had friends and family that tried to get me to try it and I just couldn't imagine how a non pasta would taste better than pasta. I'm a believer now! First, I cut it in half. Next, I added garlic salt for taste (and more benefits). After cooking in the oven for about 20 minutes, I was ready to scrape the insides. It really does look like spaghetti noodles. How neat! I then sauteed mushrooms to add with the spaghetti squash. After tasting, I couldn't imagine life without it. There are so many benefits to spaghetti squash like all the vitamins. One squash contains Vitamin A, C, B-6, K, thiamin, riboflavin (one I am deficient in), niacin, folate, and pantothenic acid. Manganese, potassium, magnesium (a mineral migrainuers need), calcium, copper, iron, phosphorus, sodium, zinc, and selenium are also in this amazing vegetable. Just like zucchini, spaghetti squash contains daily fiber intake of 9%. Fiber helps in weight reduction as it makes you feel fuller longer. Only 42 calories and 10 carbs in 1 cup serving, you can add this to any diet. So many benefits in an amazing vegetable. The outside of the squash can be used as the actual bowl when eating (saves you dishes). Who can beat that?

I am excited to test out some of the other squashes in my cooking adventures. What are some of your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment