Friday, May 10, 2013

Diary of a Mad...Migraineur

I attended a Migraine Chat on Wednesday while stuck on the couch with a migraine. The subject was something I've been struggling with for a while: guilt. With all the cancellations and calling in sick, I had so much guilt that I didn't know what to do about. One fellow migraineur offered advice that helped her: write it down. She writes down her feelings as she feels them in a notebook that goes everywhere with her. What a great idea! We often forget things throughout the day so why not see what I'm feeling before, during, and after my attacks. Plus, what are my symptoms and thoughts about them?

Thursday May 9, 2012

4:00 a.m. - I couldn't sleep at all the entire night so I might as well be up for the day. While watching infomercials and music videos, I made a nice bowl of cereal with soy milk. At about 6:00 a.m., I couldn't take it anymore: I had to get out of there.

6:30 a.m. - As I arrive at work, I feel extremely nauseated and hungry. Wait a minute, I just ate! It's like I can't eat enough to be satisfied. As I chomp on my apple, I am experiencing off and on dull pain.

8:00 a.m. - My neck starts to strain as if my shoulders are constantly shrugged and someone keeps pushing them. The pain in my head is like a light switch, going on and off in an instant. The hum of the fluorescent lights are driving me batty!

10:00 a.m. - I am thankful for my fellow migraineurs on Twitter sharing the same woes as me. I don't feel so alone. They know what I'm going through and don't judge me.

11:00 a.m. - Sharp pain the middle of my forehead as if somone is poking me with their finger repeatedly. What an annoying feeling!

11:15 a.m. - As I'm walking, I start to feel like I'm going to voming but I'm also extremely hungry. Wait, I just ate an apple on top of the breakfast I had earlier!

11:30 a.m. - My head feels so heavy while I'm walking. My body is swaying side to side as if I'm drunk.

12 noon - After eating a sandwich, my energy starts to return. Maybe it's blood sugar? As I'm feeling frustrated, I start thinking I should see a therapist about everything. I start researching what my insurance covers and the cost out of pocket. What about hypnotherapy and acupuncture?

12:30 p.m. - I think I need a karaoke night. My pain level finally went down as I refilled my water glass for a third time.

1:00 p.m. - Stomach starts doing back flips again. I'm back to the light headed wobbly feeling. Now my back starts to ache and both temples are at a constant throb.

1:45 p.m. - Onset of migraine in the back of my head, having a sharp and dull pain. Pain level is at a 6 so I take my Gabapentin, Naproxen, and Axert. I hate having to rely on pills when I'm in pain. Makes me feel weak. I wish my body was "normal." Start getting sharp pain in the back of the neck with throbbing on both sides of my head continuing. Eyes start drooping and face gets flushed.

2:00 p.m. - At this point, I'm debating on going home for the day. It's been a long one and I have class in the evening while going on no sleep. I don't want to appear "weak" and let people down at work though. Two more hours and I should be okay. Then I start to see spots. Might not be a good idea to drive. Pain level increases to 7 plus back ache, side cramp, sore neck, sore shoulders, and body drained of energy.

2:10 p.m. - My head feels like my brain is playing bumper cars with my skull. Sharp pain randomly with temples still throbbing slightly. Pain has the light switch effect again going from 3 to 7 instantly.

2:25 p.m. - Can't take it anymore so I head home.

3:00 p.m. - As I get home, I take a short 2 hour nap. My dog peed on the carpet and then curls up next to me.

5:00 p.m. - I wake up from my nap and know immediately I'm going to make it to class. I'm in way too much pain.

6:00 a.m. on Friday - I wake up. Oh my goodness! I slept all night! My poor dog probably went nuts. She's still curled up next to me though.

It was quite a day, but I did learn a lot about how I felt and what I was going through. I'm not going to post my day all the time, but on days that unusual or "bad" attacks occur, I might summarize. This notebook idea has helped me and I hope you try it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment